If you have noticed flying insects, (that look like ants), they could be termites. Subterranean termites swarm in the fall and the spring. They most commonly appear after it rains and the sun comes out. Dry wood termites swarm in the hotter months and late summer. You may notice some termite pellets, similar in appearance to salt and pepper, which are actually the dry wood frass or droppings. With subterranean termites, you may notice a small dirt tube coming from the soil. Termites can cause significant damage to homes if the problem isn’t addressed. Our homes and business properties are typically the largest investments we make, and they need to be protected. Here’s how:
- Inspection: Buena Vista Company – “The Pest Guys” can perform a complete inspection of your property. Buena Vista has multiple licensed termite /wood destroying organism inspectors with decades of experience, and will not only look for termites, but also carpenter ants, carpenter bees, plumbing leaks, moisture problems, dry rot and fungus issues. There is a fee for a complete inspection. The fee is dependent upon square footage. Please call our office for a price quote for your property. (707) 838-6291 or (415) 258-8200 or toll free (886) 924-2826.
Often times, in the midst of a construction project, you may open up a wall and uncover termites or some other wood destroying pest. If you just want us to take a look at a specific area, we call this a limited inspection, and there is no fee for this service. Please call our office to set up an appointment. (707) 838-6291 or (415) 258-8200 or toll free (886) 924-2826.
- Treatments: Today there are many treatment approaches available. Depending on the type of termite we identify, your licensed termite pest management inspector will discuss with you the most effective method of solving your termite problem.
- Preventative: There are some things property owners can do to discourage Dry wood termites from being attracted to your home or business. Keeping the structures painted and well sealed will deter dry wood termites. Keeping flashing in-between your fences and decks can also be effective. Keeping soil and ground cover away from siding and exposing the foundation around structures will deter subterranean termites, and allow you to notice any tube development on the exterior of the structure. Of course one of the best prevention methods is to have a low cost inspection of your property every 3 years, and find any problems before they become big ones! There are also ways to make your house unwelcome to Subterranean Termites. In general, the goal is to reduce moisture and organic matter around your home, and to prevent wood fiber from making contact with the ground. Specifically:
- Don’t affix wooden trellises to exterior walls
- Keep mulch, wood debris, scrap lumber, sawdust, and firewood away from buildings
- Don’t bury wood debris near your home
- Remove infested trees and stumps
- Repair leaking faucets, water lines, both indoors and outdoors
- Fix leaky roofs and gutters
- Keep gutters and drains free from debris
- Grade soil so that water runs away from foundations
- Ventilate crawl spaces and attics to reduce humidity
- Cover at between 80-90% of soil in the sub-area with vapor barrier
- Make sure that wood siding, stucco, and foam board are a minimum of 6 inches away from the ground
- What to Look For: Termites often leave evidence of their presence. Look for small holes in wood, crumbling drywall, and sagging doors and floors. Insect wings are another sign, as termites shed their wings when they swarm (most often in Spring and Fall). Look, too, for shelter tubes that Subterranean Termites build to serve as their passageways across masonry and/or along pipes. Keep in mind, though, just because you don’t see any termites or termite damage, it doesn’t necessarily mean they are not there. That’s why it’s important to have a professional inspection of your home to insure it’s termite- free. It’s cheap insurance!
- The Buena Vista Company Guarantee: Depending on the type of treatment you elect to use, our guarantees run from 3 to 7 years. With an annual inspection program in place, we can offer a 10-year guarantee against subterranean termite infestation. Call us for the details! (707) 838-6291 or (415) 258-8200 or toll free (886) 924-2826.